This year I chose to do quarterly favourites so I’ve had lists for early 2016 (covering January to March) and mid-year (covering April to June), and now I’m showing my third quarterly favourites to cover July to September:
It’s mostly sunny products but a little bit of autumn is creeping in… yes, I’m a bit late in posting this – it ought to have been up early October.
• Antipodes Vanilla Pod Day cream (review here) – of the 4 Antipodes products I started using this summer, this is the one that stands apart and I continue to use daily. It creates a smooth and hydrated base for foundation to be applied on top.
• Paula’s choice resist Anti-aging Eye cream – my friend gave this to me because I was complaining about my eye area looking crepey and none of my eye creams were cutting it (this was before I went crawling back to Shiseido’s eye cream). This eye cream is fantastic for offering hydration and protection in a lightweight, non-greasy formula. I choose this for nighttime because it does tend to ball up underneath concealers.
• Nuworld Botanicals Cold-pressed organic Sea buckthorn & Jojoba oil (review here) – this amazed me by showing me that not all oils are created equal.
• TonyMoly Dalcom Banana Pong Dang Lip Balm – I don’t think I’ve ever shown this on the blog before. I keep this at work typically – in fact, my coworker purchased it for me. She got hooked on the TonyMoly line when she discovered it at Hudson’s Bay charm Underground. This lip balm isn’t sticky whatsoever and smells like real banana (not that synthetic crap that triggers memories of medicine when I was a kid – gag!)
• Garnier Micellar cleaning Water – I’ll join the legions to echo their “believe the hype” assessment of this micellar water. It does the job, it’s easily accessible, and it’s affordable. I personally still choose the micellar waters from Yves Rocher, Sukin and Reversa – I find them much more effective and soothing for my skin. but that’s just me being incredibly picky.
• MUJI High moisture Toner – I discussed this in my recent MUJI skincare post. This has a high glycerin content which makes it practically like a priming water (something that the Smashbox primer Water fails miserably at! ). There are some days I use just this and skipped my serum, and apply the Antipodes face cream on best after, that’s how hydrating this is. This might edge out my previous preferred misting toner, from Sukin.
• Biotherm Biocils Lash Optimizer Eye makeup remover – this is a long time preferred ever because I received a sample and then I was hooked! another example of where sampling works. This is a very effective eye makeup remover and it doesn’t leave any residue.
• Avon makeup setting Spray (review here) – a surprise find from Avon. This setting spray really does work to lock down makeup for the day.
• Cake Coconut Body Souffle – this smells like a coconut and a cupcake had a lovechild. The formula is also divine – absorbs rapidly but keeps the hydration all day.
• L’Occitane Ultra Soft Balm – I wouldn’t call this ultra soft in terms of its texture – it’s quite a solid wax, but it does make my skin very soft! It smells like roses and I like it for my cuticles and elbows.
Mine was broken upon opening the container – here’s what appears to be the bunny ears. My preferred way to use this is to break it up into chunks the size of cherry tomatoes and lather up in my Salux wash cloth.
• lush Bouncy Bunny bath Jelly – yes this is an Easter limited edition item and I’m only 6 months late on this. This is my first time using a lush bath jelly and it’s so much fun! Plus, it smells like Creamsicles (orange + vanilla), lathers up nicely, and leaves my skin feeling soft. I’m going to be getting a holiday one if they have any scents I like (and I’ll get around to using it by June 2017!)
While I’m at it, another preferred is this Umbra ENSA soap dish. It has a raised tray so the soap doesn’t sit in water. and the metal portion removes for easy cleaning.
• Nova Scotia Fisherman Sea Salt Soap (haul here) – a very soothing soap that smells warm and inviting (mixture of shea and sea salt is my guess?). thanks again to Dal of little charm loves for raving about this line, or else I would have never tried it.
• Herbal Essences Smooth Collection shampoo and conditioner (haul here) – thanks to Mrs. Strawberry Blonde, I picked this pair up and I’m really enjoying both! They clean my hair and adds moisture without weighing it down. And they smell great, don’t forget how “orgasmic” they are.
• Korres Licorice & Urtica Shampoo – my friend went to Greece last year and actually hauled this back for me! It’s a bit medicinal but it really clarifies my hair. I like alternating my shampoos so I use this alongside the Herbal Essences one.
• Faces Metaliglow in 03 rose Bronze – I purchased this way back in January and finally busted it open in the summer. I had heard for years how great this is as an eyelid primer – they weren’t kidding! It really works to keep things from fading and creasing. It’s also a good highlighter for the cheeks (its intended purpose) – similar effect as the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector.
• Teeez Spectrum of stars Eyeshadows in Smokey rose (haul here) – I never did review this but my buddy polished and inspired did, so go check it out! It’s a wonderful, strong duochrome eye shadow (sage grey with a rose glint) in a last-all-day formula. The orb packaging is slightly annoying – it’s about the size of an EOS lipbalm – but what can you do (I might depot).
• Shiseido Luminizing Satin Eye color in RD709 Alchemy – this is a soft rosy taupe that I like wearing on the weekends.
• MAC Paints in Bamboom – This was from a January haul where I lament that likely MAC will discontinue these paint tubes in favour of the paint Pots. Thankfully, that hasn’t happened and this shade is still available. This warm brown shade was my base for numerous looks this summer.
• Shu Uemura coloring Pencil in M Dark brown 83 (haul here) – I’ve found a worthy successor to the Lancôme Khol in love eye liner. This thing stays on through anything!
• CoverGIrl Supersizer mascara – a surprisingly good mascara that lasts amazingly well on my lashes and holds a curl.
• MAC Lipstick in brave – I Back to MAC for this with the help of my PLC (Personal Lip Consultant), Cat. It’s such a wearable beige-y pink shade with a beautiful brightening effect on my skin tone.
• Burt’s Bees lipsticks in Lily Lake 530 and Sunset cruise 523 – I got these during my birthday haul and I haven’t reviewed these yet but spoiler alert, they are awesome! If you like tinted lip balms but wished they were much more pigmented, that’s what these are. They smell fruity too. There, I don’t even need to devote an entry to these now.
• Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in RD203 portrait – This liquid lipstick feels comfortable on the lips and has good wear time. This particular shade is a peachy nude that looks great with bronzed skin.
• L.A. colors pressed Powder in beige (review here) – what a great powder especially for the summertime. It really controls oil and offers good coverage. and only $2!
Check out all that pan showing in that LA colors pressed powder!
• MAC extra dimension Bronzer Aphrodite’s shell – I remember reading from some people that they didn’t find this bronzer to be pigmented enough when this was released in the Alluring Aquatics collection. That’s precisely reason why this appeals to me – it’s completely foolproof and easy to apply all over my face for a sheer sunkissed look.
• MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Rio – this was a limited edition item from the tropical Taboo collection in 2013. I use it as a blush / highlighter combo – it’s very flattering on tanned skin. When swirled together, it creates a warm pink colour – I read that Milani Baked blush in Dolce Pink is similar.
• Shu Uemura point Cealer in 7YR-ML – I got this during my birthday haul – it’s an unassuming little concealer that plays good under the eye area (it’s ever so slightly too ochre on me). It’s pigmented but doesn’t look dry and does not crease. I can’t seem to find this online so I’m concerned it might be phased out; I’ll have to go back to the Shu Uemura counter to ask if it’s discontinued.
• Essie Gel Couture Pinned Up and top coat (review here)
• China Glaze change Your Altitude (review here)
• China Glaze Let’s Jam (review here)
• Nicole by OPI Sing You like a Bee – review soon!
• H&M precision makeup Sponge – I picked this up on a whim for $5 and was so amazed by its texture and performance. It is less airy compared to the charm Blender but it blends foundation just as well. The only downside is the white colour: stain-city!
• MAC 129SH Powder/Blush brush – I purchased this back in April and I’ve been using it quite a bit for applying blush. It picks up the ideal amount of powder and blends well. I had heard mixed reviews the long handled version of this (shedding, not soft) but this short handled version is great (and unlike the LE versions, this is made in Japan, not China).
• MAC 217SH Blending and 239SH Shader brush – and because I’m talking about the SH (short handled) brushes from MAC, the other two I’ve been enjoying are the 217SH and 239SH. If you’re thinking of upgrading your brushes, look no even more than these 2 brushes. At the very least, get the 217 (either short handled or regular length deal with – the heads are the same as shown above). You can thank me later.
I’ll be doing one much more quarterly favourites in December, and then I’ll do a “best of” list in January for all of 2016 (I love reading those!). What have been your favourites lately?
Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Klikk for å dele på Pinterest (åpnes i nytt vindu)
Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
Click to share on ReDDIT (åpnes i nytt vindu)
Som lasting …
Antipodes Skincare ReviewSthis Week jeg fokuserer på hudpleie! 🙂 Jeg har 4 Antipodes hudpleieprodukter for å gjennomgå først- jeg har brukt disse de siste 6 ukene, så jeg har dannet solide meninger om dem. L til R: • Joyous Protein-Rish Night Replenish Serum • Apostle Skin-lysende og tonekorrigerende serum (dette er en prøve …
22. august 2016in “Beauty”
Det beste av 2016 Discoveries og her er det – som du kan forestille deg å prøve å begrense de beste varene var vanskelig! Disse varene er nye for meg, men er kanskje ikke nye lanseringer i 2016. Dessuten er det ikke nødvendigvis at disse varene er min absolutte “hellige gral” gjennom tidene – de er rett og slett de beste fra …
12. januar 2017in “Beauty”
Trash Stash: Mai 2017 Denne måneden var måneden for å fullføre mye ansikts hudpleie: Jeg avsluttet både dag- og nattkremer, pluss en haug med annet viktig ansiktsprodukt. Så rart hvordan det skjer. Skincare Shiseido Bio-Performance Advanced Very Revitalizing Cream-$ 94 for 50ml Dette er min HG Nightime …
6. juni 2017in “Beauty”